Connect with us

Politics

2027: ‘I never said I’d step down for anybody’ – Atiku clarifies

Published

on

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has dismissed claims that he pledged to withdraw from the 2027 presidential race in favour of a younger aspirant.

In a statement issued Tuesday by his media aide, Paul Ibe, Atiku clarified that his remarks during a BBC Hausa interview were misrepresented.

“It is necessary to correct certain misinterpretations from sections of the media regarding His Excellency’s interview with the BBC Hausa Service,” Ibe said.

“After reviewing the video and transcripts in both Hausa and English, it is clear that at no point did the former Vice President state or imply that he intends to step down for anybody.

What he said was that young aspirants, like every other Nigerian, are free to contest. He further emphasized that if a young candidate emerges through the primaries, he would wholeheartedly support such a person.”

The statement faulted what it described as “mischievous stretching of interpretation,” insisting that the reports did not reflect Atiku’s actual words.

Atiku, who is widely expected to vie for the presidential ticket of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) ahead of 2027, had earlier stated he would accept the outcome if a younger aspirant defeats him at the primaries.