Connect with us

Nigeria News

BREAKING: Nnamdi Kanu arrives court ahead of judgment in terrorism case

Published

on

The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, appeared at the Federal High Court on Thursday ahead of the much-anticipated judgment in his case.

On his arrival, Kanu told reporters that no judgment could stand, insisting that he had already filed the necessary processes. “No judgment would hold,” he said confidently.

IDOMA VOICE reports that Justice James Omotosho is expected to rule on several pending applications, including Kanu’s challenge to the validity of the terrorism charges against him and his plea for release over alleged unlawful detention and infringement of his fundamental rights.

Kanu, who has been detained by the Department of State Services (DSS) since June 2021 after what his lawyers describe as an “extraordinary rendition” from Kenya, faces seven terrorism-related charges. The allegations, which he denies, include incitement, running an unlawful organization, and acts considered threatening to national security.

In a fresh court motion, the IPOB leader contended that the Terrorism Prevention and Prohibition Act, under which he is being prosecuted, has been repealed. He urged the court to strike out the charges, describing them as “disclosing no offence known to law” and therefore invalid.

Kanu also requested that the court nullify the “purported plea of not guilty” entered on his behalf, claiming it was obtained through deception and contrary to a Supreme Court ruling. He further asked the court to set aside all subsequent proceedings and order his immediate release.