Categories: Nigeria News

COVID-19: See why Abuja residents may spend Christmas indoor

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) may likely impose a second lockdown for about two weeks to curtail the spread of COVID-19 following the possibility of a second wave of the deadly virus in Abuja.

This move was suggested by the presidential task force on COVID-19 (PTF) at an emergency meeting with FCTA officials and the FCT Minister, Muhammad Bello was urged to reactivate COVID-19 Protocols Enforcement Task Team to stop its violation in the territory.

Dr Sani Aliyu, the National Coordinator of PTF gave the advice during an Emergency FCT COVID-19 Stakeholders Review Meeting in Abuja, yesterday.

The meeting was necessitated by the increasing number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the territory.

Aliyu also emphasised the need for aggressive enforcement of COVID-19 guidelines that would come with clear penalties.

He insisted that mass gathering should be restricted to not than 50 persons, preferably outdoors, and there must be wearing of face masks. He said PTF only recommended that restaurants should be allowed to operate outdoors, but lamented that all restaurants have opened indoors.

“This has to be enforced; they can provide takeaways, otherwise, they should close for the Christmas period because it is an area that attracts people for mass gathering. Our aim is to stop the super spider event over the next six weeks.

“My recommendation is that all the sites that are currently serving as attractive points for mass gathering should be closed for the next six weeks to takeout the Christmas rise in case.

“There should be inspection team going round Abuja to monitor and ensure compliance. Any business premises or markets found accepting people without wearing of face masks should be closed.

“The same applies to shopping centres, motor parks and other commercial premises,” Aliyu said.

The FCT Minister, Muhammad Bello noted that the objective of the meeting was to review the COVID-19 saga, particularly, in the light of its second wave which hit the FCT two weeks ago. He decried non adherence to all COVID-19 precautionary measures and protocols in the FCT, assured that there would be massive enforcement.

This came as the army headquarters confirmed that 26 Generals and other senior officers have, so far, tested positive for COVID-19, while 417 others were undergoing test.

Treasure Orokpo

A multi-talented individual with a passion for diverse fields, Treasure Orokpo is a trained journalist, skilled cook, and AI enthusiast. When she's not uncovering the latest stories, you can find her whipping up culinary creations in the kitchen and entertainment.

Recent Posts

Gavi-funded meningococcal vaccines arrive in Nigeria to aid outbreak response

This week, Nigeria’s Ministry of Health received over 1,000,000 pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) doses…

10 hours ago

Fire razes Sokoto orphan school built for Boko Haram victims

A fire outbreak on Thursday evening ravaged parts of Jarma UK Academy in Sokoto, destroying…

12 hours ago

BREAKING: Court stops Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, lawyers from granting interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued an order prohibiting all parties involved in…

12 hours ago

BREAKING: Gunmen ambush Benue Links Bus, kill driver, kidnap all passengers in Otukpo

Gunmen on Thursday night ambushed a Benue Links bus in Ikobi, Otukpo Local Government Area…

14 hours ago

BREAKING: Supreme Court removes Abure as Labour Party’s National Chairman

The Supreme Court has overturned the Court of Appeal’s judgment that had recognized Julius Abure…

15 hours ago

[EDITORIAL] Ochetoha K’Idoma: A toothless bulldog in deafening silence amid killings in Benue South

The wave of killings sweeping across Benue South, particularly in the Idoma-speaking areas, is a…

16 hours ago