Good morning! Here is summary of Benue News this morning, Friday, July 29. 2022.
1. Hon Jacob Orban, member representing Katsina-Ala west at the Benue State House of Assembly, has defected from the All Progressives Congress, APC, to Peoples Democratic party, PDP.
Orban’s defection was contained in a letter to the Speaker of the State Assembly, Rt Hon Titus Uba and read by the Deputy Speaker, Rt Hon Christopher Adaji who presided during Tuesday’s plenary on 26th July, 2022.
2. A Makurdi Federal High Court presided over by Justice Abdul Dogo has fixed September 13, 2022 for hearing in the suit filed by Senator Barnabas Gemade seeking the nullification of the Benue state All Progressives Congress, APC, gubernatorial primary election, which produced Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia as candidate.
When the case came up Thursday, counsel to Senator Gemade, Martins Ozueh informed the court that the matter was for hearing but the counsel to Fr. Alia, Mike Agber had two days earlier “filed and served me a notice of preliminary objection and counter affidavit. But my colleague is filing my response to the objection and counter affidavit at the registry of the Court.”
3. The Police Command in Benue State Wednesday arraigned one Maurice Archibong before a Makurdi Upper Area Court for alleged battery.
The Police Prosecutor, Insp. Veronica Shaagee, told the court that the case was transferred from Ugbokolo Division Police Station to State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) Makurdi Via letter No. AR:3100/BNS/UG/Vol.5/76 dated July 22.
4. Benue State Executive Council, at it sitting on Tuesday, approved the sum of N1,186,000,000, for the construction of Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, secretariat in Makurdi, among other projects.
Briefing newsmen at the end of the meeting, the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Mr Michael Inalegwu, explained that of the sum, N99 million was for the purchase of boots, uniforms and other materials preparatory for the Community Volunteer Guard security outfit numbering about 1,000.
5. One of the Guber aspirants on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Benue state, Engr Barnabas Gemade, has said that the process of getting a flag bearer is far from over.
He, however, noted that there remains a very good chance of a successful conclusion of the matter, not minding the duration of time.
6. Comrade Daniel Onjeh , immediate past Chairman, Governing Board, PRODA and the All Progressives Congress, ÀPC, 2023 Benue South Senatorial candidate has said that a former Minister of Agriculture, Chief Audu Ogbe is a man of vision and foresight.
According to Com. Onjeh, Ogbe is a rock upon which many in Benue South lean. He also referred to the APC chieftains as an oracle to which people flock for counsel and direction.
7. Rt Hon Emmanuel Jime, Executive Secretary (ES), Shippers Council of Nigeria (NSC) has stated that the Makurdi Area Office of the Council was reopened in view of the economic viability and potentials Benue state and its environs possess.
He further explained that the growing clusters of export processing companies in the zone, also informed the decision of the Council to resume its activities and services at the Area Office.
8. The Benue State Joint Task Force (JTF) of the Nigeria Police Force Friday said they have arrested two suspected Fulani militants, Abdul Muhammed and Yusuf Saidu, who kidnapped a business man, Mr. Okpeh Raphael to their hideout in the forest.
Commander of Operation Zenda in the state, CSP Gberindyer Justin, disclosed this in Makurdi, the state capital.