Good morning! Here are latest Benue News today, Thursday, August 18, 2022
1. Stakeholders of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Benue South have raised the alarm over alleged imposition of a popular deputy governorship candidate.
In a strongly worded letter to APC National Chairman, Senator Abdullah Adamu, the national leadership of the party was urged to quickly wade into the impasse and reverse any unpopular decision that may bring the party into collision with genuine members and voters in the state.
2. The Benue Youth Parliament and Students have passed votes of confidence on the leadership of Governor Samuel Ortom for his youth development and security initiatives in governing the state.
The President of the National Union of Benue State Students, NUBESS, Comrade Gaius Injorovkaa and the Speaker, Benue State Youth Parliament, Miss Rachael Tyona passed the confidence vote on Wednesday in separate speeches when they jointly led delegations on courtesy call on the Governor in Makurdi.
3. Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom has told the Federal Government to list the state as a solid mineralproducing state to enable it to benefit from the 13% derivation revenue fund. He made the call in his opening remarks at the State Executive Council (SEC) meeting in Makurdi yesterday.
According to him, Benue is blessed with zinc and gold, which he said was recently discovered in large quantities in the Kwande Local Government Area. Ortom, therefore, stressed the need for “the state to be designated a nonoil producing state to also derive maximum benefits from its natural resources”.
4. President Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Most Rev. Oliver Ali Aba, the Archbishop of Benue and Prelate-elect of Methodist Church Nigeria.
The President’s congratulatory message is contained in a statement by his media aide, Mr Femi Adesina, on Wednesday in Abuja.
5. Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has charged Benue youths to utilize social media as a platform to evolve solutions to problems rather than using it to destroy personalities and institutions.
Governor Ortom gave the charge Wednesday, August 17th, 2022 when he interacted with the National Union of Benue State Students, NUBESS and Benue State Youth Parliament who jointly paid him a courtesy call at the Benue Peoples House, Makurdi.
6. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has justified why he met the Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate, Peter Obi, Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State, among others.
rtom said he couldn’t turn down a request to attend such meetings.
Ortom explained that he did nothing wrong by attending the meeting with Obi.