Good morning! Here are Latest Benue News today, Thursday, August 25, 2022
1. The newly established Community Volunteer Guards in Benue State have arrested five suspected foreign fighters known as Amazonian fighters.
A statement issued by the Special Adviser on Security, Lt. Col. Paul Hemba (retd.), said that the foreign fighters who were linked to Boko Haram were arrested Monday afternoon at Jato Aka roundabout near a drinking joint.
2. National President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Dr. Daniel Okoh has emphasized that the future of internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the country is in the hands of God.
The CAN President stated this when he donated relief materials to IDPs in Benue State yesterday as a way of cushioning the effect of the hardship they were going through.
3. The Benue state government has clarified that Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state has no problem with the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Chairman, Senator Ayu, contrary to the recent allegation by a group, the Tiv Youth Council, TYC.
The President of TYC, Mike Msuaan in a statement claimed that Governor Ortom had kept mute over the demand by his friend, Governor Nyesom Wike for the resignation of Senator Ayu saying “it is our belief that Governor Ortom is fully aware of the clandestine moves to remove Ayu as the National Chairman of the PDP.”
4. A Makurdi Chief Magistrate Court presided over by Mrs Kadoon Gbasha has convicted a 30-year-old man, Ternenge Peter of Wurukum, Makurdi for destroying a billboard belonging to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, mounted at Wurukum roundabout.
The trial Magistrate Mrs Gbasha sentenced him to one month community service which in default he will go to jail for two months.
5. Michael Ajunwa, a kidnap victim has been killed by his abductors in Orokam, a suburb of Ogbadibo Local Government Area of Benue State.
IDOMA VOICE gathered that late Ajunwa was killed after his people couldn’t meet up with the N50 million naira demanded by the kidnappers.
6. Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Benue, says he will continue with his reconciliation efforts to unite all party members ahead of the 2023 general elections.
Alia made the pledge in Makurdi when he was presented with a letter from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as the official flag bearer of the APC for the governorship election in the state.
7. Chairman of the Lobi Stars Football Club of Makurdi, Benue State, Benson Abounu, has mediated in the management crisis rocking the club and charged the technical crew, management and players to ensure they bring home this year’s AITEO cup, assuring them of government support in their campaign.
The crisis ranges from alleged gross financial mismanagement, non-payment of both staff and players’ salaries and allowances as well as the reported ‘dictatorial’ conduct of the Vice Chairman, Dominic Iorfa. Abounu, who doubles as the Deputy Governor of Benue State, gave the charge during an interactive meeting with the technical crew, management, players representatives, and sports writers held to discuss and resolve the crisis rocking the club for optimum performance.