Naija News, read Top Headlines today, Thursday 12 January 2023 below.
Below are the Newspaper Headlines & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers. Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Social Democratic Party (SDP) and Accord Party have refuted reports of an alliance with the All Progressives Congress (APC) ahead of the forthcoming presidential election. It was earlier reported that a member of the APC Presidential Campaign Council (PCC), Senator Adesoji Akanbi, had said the ruling party is planning an alliance with SDP, Accord and other smaller parties to boost the chances of its flagbearer, Bola Tinubu.
2. The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), has called on all state attorneys to work with the federal and state governments to promote an effective judicial system. Abubakar Malami made this call on Tuesday during a discussion geared at creating a synergy between the two levels of government.
3. Two bankers, Agbo John Agama and Edoh Steve, have been convicted and sentenced to three years imprisonment for conspiracy, aiding and abetting fraud to the tune of N9.4 million. They were convicted by Justice Mojisola Olajuwon of Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, January 11, 2023.
.4. Nigerians have been urged to go back to wearing of face masks, hand washing, and sanitizing as part of efforts to take preventive measures against another outbreak of the COVID-19 virus. IDOMA VOICE reports that this is as the federal government has beefed up surveillance at all the country’s international airports and increased the now relaxed scientific approach.
5. The Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council (LP PCC) has lamented the lackadaisical attitude of Staff attached to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) saddled with the responsibility of distributing Permanent Voters Cards (PVC).
6. The All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, has sparked reactions over a derogatory statement to Igbos during his campaign rally in Enugu State. IDOMA VOICE earlier reported that the APC presidential candidate was received at the Enugu International Airport by Governors Hope Uzodinma of Imo State, Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State, former Senate President, Ken Nnamani, and other APC chieftains in the South East.
7. The African Action Congress (AAC) presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has opined that Nigerians who have plans to vote for the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, in the 2023 election aren’t tired of suffering.
8. Lagos and Kano States have topped the list of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) voters register.
IDOMA VOICE reports that Lagos tops the list with 7,060,195 registered voters followed by Kano with 5,921,370.
9. The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar has been challenged to step down from the presidential race if he has any shame. This comes after Michael Achimugu on Monday opened up on the former vice president’s grand corruption, and further threatened to expose his alleged dark past.
10. The President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday declared that his government would not take the foot off the pedal in delivering the gains of democratic rule to the people. Speaking during his meeting at the Aso Rock Villa in Abuja with executive members of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), President Buhari assured that infrastructure, security, and economy will remain the focus of his administration.