Naija News, read Top Headlines today, Thursday, 9 February 2023 below.
Below are the Newspaper Headlines & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers. Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered that the old naira notes should remain in circulation beyond the February 10 deadline earlier announced. The apex court gave the fresh order barely two days before the deadline for the naira swap announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
2. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Wednesday appealed the judgement of the Election Petition Tribunal that nullified the victory of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, in the July 16 governorship poll. The electoral body in the Notice of Appeal dated 30th January 2023, filed before the Court of Appeal, Akure Division listed 44 grounds of appeal.
3. The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, is reportedly in a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at Aso Rock in Abuja. IDOMA VOICE reports that the meeting is coming shortly after a Supreme Court ruling on Wednesday ordered that the old naira notes should remain in circulation beyond the February 10 deadline earlier announced.
4. The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Mahmood Yakubu, on Wednesday, briefed the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting on the preparation of the commission for the 2023 general elections.
5. The lawmaker representing Delta North Senatorial district at the National Assembly, Peter Nwaoboshi, has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment for money laundering. IDOMA VOICE reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) disclosed the latest development in a statement via its website on Wednesday.
6. The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to immediately remove the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Lagos, Olusegun Agbaje.
7. The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba has approved the posting and redeployment of some senior police officers within the force.
8. The Director of Strategic Communications of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign Council, Dele Momodu, has stated that the flagbearer of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, is struggling in the presidential race.
9. Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has reapproved the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium as the venue for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential campaign rally in the state. Recall that the governor had on January 31 withdrawn the initial approval of February 11 on the grounds that PDP Presidential Campaign Organisation is working in collaboration with the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.
10. The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu has called on Nigerians to resist the antics of enemies of democracy who want to create a state of national siege and tension through the scarcity of fuel and the new naira notes.