Categories: Nigeria News

Scores killed as gunmen launch fresh attack in Taraba community

A yet to be identified militia group have invaded Tor-Iorshaer community, Rafinkada ward in the Wukari Local Government Area of Taraba State, killing at least four persons who had just returned to their community based on the state government’s directive.

The gunmen, who set fire to several houses, attacked the community at about 11.20 pm on Saturday for more than 30 minutes, without being checkmated by the police or military personnel.

Survivors of the attack, who spoke with SaharaReporters, lamented that many of the residents had returned to the community, based on a directive of the State Governor, Darius Ishaku, that normalcy had returned to the areas and that the security agencies would ensure the protection of the lives and property of the indigenes.

The gunmen, however, struck on Saturday, sacking the Tor-Iorshaer community without any visible presence or intervention of the security agencies.

The deceased were identified as Godwin Meer, Oryina Sunday Mdooga, Alfred Sylvanus Mchivga and Ayar Chia.

A resident, who gave his name only as Bitrus, told SaharaReporters, “This attack is one of several attacks in the past that made us, the indigenous people of the community, to flee our homes to neighbouring states for safety. No security agent seems to be in view despite a military camp within the community.

“Many of us are returnees. We acted based on the Taraba State government’s directive that the crisis was over, that all displaced people should return. But on returning home, we were suddenly attacked again and killed by the Jukun militias.”

Another survivor noted that the community forwarded the letters of their return to all the relevant security agencies in the state, requesting for security presence, but got nothing.

“We had been displaced for close to two years without the government’s intervention. Meanwhile, it was the Taraba State Government, who issued the directive for the displaced persons to return home to their ancestral land that the crisis was over,” the survivor said.

A government official said the only way to resolve the crisis was to ensure that the security agencies do their work and do not take sides with any ethnoreligious interests in the state.

Ben Idah

Recent Posts

Gavi-funded meningococcal vaccines arrive in Nigeria to aid outbreak response

This week, Nigeria’s Ministry of Health received over 1,000,000 pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) doses…

12 hours ago

Fire razes Sokoto orphan school built for Boko Haram victims

A fire outbreak on Thursday evening ravaged parts of Jarma UK Academy in Sokoto, destroying…

14 hours ago

BREAKING: Court stops Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, lawyers from granting interviews

A Federal High Court in Abuja has issued an order prohibiting all parties involved in…

14 hours ago

BREAKING: Gunmen ambush Benue Links Bus, kill driver, kidnap all passengers in Otukpo

Gunmen on Thursday night ambushed a Benue Links bus in Ikobi, Otukpo Local Government Area…

15 hours ago

BREAKING: Supreme Court removes Abure as Labour Party’s National Chairman

The Supreme Court has overturned the Court of Appeal’s judgment that had recognized Julius Abure…

17 hours ago

[EDITORIAL] Ochetoha K’Idoma: A toothless bulldog in deafening silence amid killings in Benue South

The wave of killings sweeping across Benue South, particularly in the Idoma-speaking areas, is a…

18 hours ago