Six of the 136 students kidnapped from an Islamic school in the north-central Nigerian state of Niger have died of illness, the school principal told Reuters on Monday.
The abductors have demanded a ransom to release the students, kidnapped in May after an armed gang on motorcycles attacked the school in the town of Tegina.
Criminal gangs carrying out kidnappings for ransom are blamed for a series of raids on boarding schools in northern Nigeria in which more than 1,000 students have been abducted since December.
The principal, Abubakar Garba Alhasan, said the kidnappers had called to say the children died from sickness and to urge that the ransom demand be met.
Abubakar Adam, whose seven children are held by the gang, said the abductors called the principal to demand a ransom.
Kidnappers on Sunday released 15 more students taken last month from a Baptist school in northwest Nigeria, after parents paid an undisclosed ransom to free them.
President Muhammadu Buhari in February called on state governments to stop paying kidnappers, and Kaduna Governor Nasir Ahmad el-Rufai publicly refuses to pay. Desperate parents and communities often raise and pay ransoms themselves. (Reuters)
Rice, a staple for Christmas celebrations in Nigeria, has become a luxury this year. Soaring…
Panic erupted on Saturday at a concert in Lagos when the stage collapsed during Odumodublvck’s…
The Federal Government of Nigeria has allocated ₦6,364,181,224 billion for the refurbishment and rehabilitation of…
The black market dollar to naira exchange rate for today, 22nd December 2024, can be…
The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has refuted claims that the 60,000 barrels per…
Manchester City finds itself in unprecedented turmoil, with relegation-level form showing little sign of improvement.…