Benue news
Benue: Gunmen kidnap 6 travellers on Naka–Makurdi route
At least six commuters have been whisked away by suspected gunmen along the Naka–Makurdi road in Benue State in the early hours of Tuesday.
The incident occurred at Kula village, a settlement located not far from Makurdi, the state capital.
A relative of one of the victims, who spoke anonymously, revealed that seven individuals had embarked on the journey from Ilorin on Monday.
Amid security concerns along the corridor, the travellers reportedly broke their trip in Ankpa, Kogi State, where they passed the night before setting out again early Tuesday morning.
According to the family source, their vehicle was intercepted by armed attackers at Kula village, about 20 minutes from Makurdi.
“They were seven in the vehicle and left Ankpa early this morning, but their vehicle was stopped at Kula village.
“One passenger managed to escape, while the remaining six, three men and three women, were taken away by the kidnappers,” the source said.
The abductors have allegedly demanded a ransom of N100 million for the release of the captives.
Confirming the development, the Chairman of Gwer West Local Government Area, Omnin Torsar, said the abduction took place around 5 a.m. along the Naka–Makurdi stretch.
“It’s true, I have confirmed the abduction. I was told the incident happened around 5 a.m. They were travelling in a convoy when they ran into bandits who abducted some of them.
The incident happened close to Makurdi along the Naka–Makurdi road, but I don’t have the exact number of those taken,” he said.
Efforts to obtain an official reaction from the Nigeria Police Force proved abortive, as the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Udeme Edet, said no formal report had been received at the time of inquiry.
