Naija News, read Top Headlines today, Tuesday, 26th October 2022 below.
Below are the Newspaper Headlines & Naija News today from Nigerian Newspapers. Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Bola Tinubu, the All Progressive Congress (APC) presidential candidate has claimed that General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adeboye gave him a name.
In a trending video, Tinubu narrated how Adeboye called him Abraham when his wife, Remi, was ordained a pastor.
He made the revelation in Kano during a meeting with leaders of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Tijaniyya sect, and other Islamic groups.
“The day my wife was ordained a pastor, I was there. Pastor Adeboye gave me Abraham. I said what is the meaning, he said watch out…the father of nations,” he said.
2. Fifteen Nigerian billionaires have lost as much as N799.1 billion to the bearish performance of the Nigerian equities market in the third quarter of the year, as their collective wealth dropped by 11.9% in Q3 2022.
The aggregate wealth of these billionaires dropped from N6.74 trillion as of 30th June 2022 to N5.94 trillion by the end of September 2022. This is according to Nairametrics’ billionaire tracker, compiled based on the direct and indirect holdings of notable billionaires with stakes in listed companies in the Nigerian stock market.
The loss by the billionaires was due to the negative performance of the stock market. The All-Share index had dipped by 5.39% in Q3 2022, with almost all the indices (apart from the NGX Growth Index) printing negative returns in the period.
3. No fewer than 500 prominent Christian clerics from the north and heads of different support groups within the All Progressives Congress have rejected the party’s Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket.
The groups, which met on Tuesday to review the participation of Christians in the APC presidential campaign council, warned that it will withdraw the support of millions of its followers across the country should the ruling party proceed with Kassim Shettima as Bola Tinubu’s running mate.
The Christian leaders and heads of the APC coalition made their displeasure known in a communique issued at the end of the meeting in Abuja.
4. Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, has revoked that she is 43% Nigerian.
She made this revelation in the latest episode of her podcast, Archetypes, where she expressed her desire to learn more about her roots, Mirrors reported on Tuesday.
In the episode, Markle discussed with American actress Issa Rae, Nigerian-American writer Ziwe Fumudoh, and professor Emily Bernards.
She said, “I just had my genealogy done a couple of years ago.”
5. Scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit, otherwise known as petrol has hit Lagos State, the nationa’s commercial hub.
Long queues were seen at major gas stations across the state on Tuesday, thereby triggering angry reactions from motorists.
The development is coming three weeks after scarcity of the product hit the nation’s capital, Abuja.
6. The Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has nullified all the primaries conducted by APC in Rivers State.
With the development, the APC will not produce any candidate in the 2023 general elections in Rivers State just like it happened in 2019.
A Federal High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has nullified all the primary elections conducted by the All Progressives Congress in Rivers State.
7. Actress Desola Afod has announced that she is no longer with her husband, Kunle Afod.
The announcement is coming after reports of continuous public fights with the filmmaker and actor’s baby mama and side chics.
Confirming that she has moved on from her marriage, Desola wrote on Instagram;
“The good news you wanna hear, I left Kunle Afod”
8. The Lagos State High Court sitting in Osborne, Ikoyi has granted an order of Mareva injunction restraining all commercial banks in the country from releasing or dealing in any manner with any money or assets due to Chinmark Group Limited and three others.
The court granted the order up to the amount of N246,610,000 (two hundred and forty-six million, six hundred and ten thousand naira) being the outstanding investments and return on investments accruing to the applicants from the defendants as of the December 30, 2021.
9. Some youths on Tuesday paralyzed commercial activities in Kachia, a town in Kaduna State for a rally in support of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi.
The vibes, energy, and positivity of volunteers are indescribable.
10. Super Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi who scored Nottingham Forest’s winning goal against Liverpool has been selected in Alan Shearer’s Premier League team of the week.
The Nigerian striker scored the only goal in Nottingham’s 1-0 win over his former club Liverpool.
Premier League record highest-ever goal scorer selected him to lead the line his Premier League Team of the Week.