Connect with us

Nigeria News

Outrage as family of Bilyaminu Bello rejects presidential pardon for Maryam Sanda

Published

on

The family of the late Bilyaminu Bello has strongly criticized the presidential pardon granted to his widow, Maryam Sanda, who had been sentenced to death after being found guilty of his murder.

Describing the decision as “the worst possible injustice any family could be made to go through,” the family stated that the pardon had reopened painful memories they were still struggling to overcome.

In a statement issued on Monday and signed by Dr. Bello Mohammed on behalf of the family, they voiced their anger over President Bola Tinubu’s inclusion of Sanda among the 175 prisoners recently freed through the Prerogative of Mercy initiative.

The statement reads, “To have Maryam Sanda walk the face of the earth again, free from any blemish for her heinous crime as if she had merely squashed an ant, is the worst possible injustice any family could be made to go through for a loved one.”

The family reminded the public that Sanda was convicted by the FCT High Court on January 27, 2020, for the premeditated killing of her husband. That judgment was later upheld by both the Court of Appeal on December 4, 2020, and the Supreme Court on October 27, 2023.

They said the final verdict had given them “some closure of sorts” even though Sanda never showed any remorse for her actions.

The statement continued, *“Satisfied that justice had finally been served, the judgment provided some closure of sorts in the circumstance, if ever there could be one. Although the perpetrator had shown no remorse, even for a fleeting moment throughout the saga, the grieving family took solace in the judgments and moved on, having painfully come to terms with the fate that life had thrust upon one of our own.

“This latest turn of events, coming just a few years after the dastardly crime that cruelly cut short Bilyaminu’s life, has, however, expectedly reopened our healing wounds.”*

The Bello family condemned the grounds on which the clemency was granted, alleging that the move seemed intended to “appease Maryam’s family members.”

They lamented, *“We interpret this decision as primarily driven by the sole motivation for appeasing Maryam’s family members by way of extending mercy to a certified convicted murderer.

“At the same time, it conveniently ignored the corresponding inexorable pain that has now been inflicted on the victim’s grieving family, friends and associates.”*

Accusing the government of disregarding the justice system and belittling the victim’s memory, the family said the action had devalued Bilyaminu’s life, reducing him to a mere number in crime statistics.

They added, “We are compelled to issue this formal statement to humanise Bilyaminu, who is now suddenly being made to appear as if he is just another faceless anonymous individual in the long line of victims of crimes in the country.”

The family also dismissed arguments that Sanda’s release was necessary for her children’s welfare, reminding the public that she had already deprived them of their father’s love.

They said, “The alleged grounds for Maryam Sanda’s release were predicated on appeals from her family, amongst other considerations. It is pertinent to stress that Bilyaminu was also our cherished family member who was profoundly loved and deeply mourned by his teeming relations, friends and close associates following the unfortunate incident that resulted in his gruesome murder eight years ago. Maryam, let’s not forget, had earlier denied the same children now used to elicit sympathy and secure her release, the opportunity to know what a father’s love and care mean.”

While expressing their heartbreak over the development, the family said they were placing their hope in divine justice.

The statement concluded, “We take solace in the simple fact that in such matters, the ultimate comprehensive justice resides purely with the Supreme Judge and our Creator, who will dispense this matter on the Day of Recompense.”

IDOMA VOICE recalls that Maryam Sanda was found guilty in 2020 for stabbing her husband to death at their Abuja residence on November 19, 2017. She was one of the 175 inmates pardoned last week by President Tinubu under the Prerogative of Mercy policy