Nigeria News
Court denies Nnamdi Kanu bail
:The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday rejected the bail application of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu, stating that it would proceed with the scheduled judgment in his terrorism trial.
Kanu, who has faced years of legal proceedings over terrorism and treasonable felony charges, had requested the court to suspend judgment and consider a series of fresh motions he filed.
However, Justice James Omotosho ruled that the case proceedings were concluded and that no further delays would be allowed.
Naija News had earlier reported that Kanu arrived at court insisting that no judgment could be delivered, claiming he had filed several new motions. “There is no judgment as I have filed my processes. No judgment would hold,” he stated at the outset of the hearing.
The judge, however, reminded Kanu to maintain decorum, emphasizing that court proceedings would continue as scheduled.
Representing himself, Kanu told the court that he had filed three separate motions between November 11 and 17. These included a request for the court to refer “substantial constitutional issues” to the Court of Appeal, a motion compelling the prosecution to submit a final written address, and a bail application on liberal terms.
Kanu also argued that count 7 of the charges against him did not exist under any written law, claiming it nullified the trial.
Justice Omotosho consolidated the motions but stressed that the court would not revisit matters already decided. He noted that the issues raised by Kanu had been previously addressed and that the court was bound by its earlier rulings.
“This court is bound by its earlier decisions. Applications regarding the Court of Appeal and stay of proceedings will not be entertained. Section 306 of the ACJA prohibits such applications,” the judge said.
He further explained that only two types of bail are recognized by law, and that Kanu’s circumstances did not qualify under either category.
