Nigeria News
Tinubu swears in Gen. Christopher Musa as new Defence Minister
President Bola Tinubu on Thursday officially swore in General Christopher Gwabin Musa as Nigeria’s new Minister of Defence, a move that signals a fresh phase in the administration’s ongoing efforts to strengthen national security.
The brief ceremony took place in the President’s first-floor office at the State House, Abuja, formally entrusting Gen. Musa with responsibility for steering the country’s defence policy at a critical time.
Earlier in the day, President Tinubu hailed Musa as a “fine gentleman” whose professional record positions him to advance a more coordinated and effective security architecture.
The President also applauded the Senate for promptly confirming the former Chief of Defence Staff, noting that he had transmitted Musa’s nomination just two days prior.
In a message shared on his verified X account, @officialABAT, Tinubu reiterated that the nominee’s depth of experience would serve the country well at this defining moment.
“I want to commend the Nigerian Senate for its expedited confirmation of General Musa yesterday. His appointment comes at a critical juncture in our lives as a nation,” he wrote.
Tinubu stressed that Musa’s decades of military leadership and familiarity with Nigeria’s multifaceted security challenges make him a strong fit to lead the defence ministry as the administration pursues its security agenda.
“God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” he added, signing off in his usual manner.
With the swearing-in complete, Gen. Musa now fully assumes his ministerial portfolio as the government seeks to build on recent security gains and push forward reforms aimed at restoring peace and stability nationwide.
Speaking with journalists shortly after taking the oath, the new minister assured the public that he is ready to get to work immediately, promising improved security outcomes.
He emphasised that strengthening defence institutions, enhancing collaboration among security agencies, and ensuring citizens are carried along remain his top priorities.
His words: “My immediate priority is to make sure that defence takes its place fully in the country. The synergy between the armed forces and other security agencies and all Nigerians being carried along as we have always said, that security is everybody’s responsibility.
“It is that synergy that we need to build on and work on it, and that’s what we’re going to do and I can assure you, within the shortest possible time, Nigerians will see results.
I want to use this medium to appreciate all Nigerians. Nigerians have shown me love, and I will guarantee them that I am going to work whatever it takes to ensure that Nigeria is secured.”
When asked about President Tinubu’s directive, Musa said the President gave him a clear mandate to strengthen national security and ensure Nigerians can “sleep with their eyes closed.”
According to him, “I just met Mr. President, and he reiterated his mind on the aspect that we must make sure that Nigeria is secured.
Nigerians should go back and sleep with their eyes closed, go back to their farms. Schools open without being molested. Everyone being carried together to make sure that Nigeria continues to grow in line with the renewed programme of Mr. President.”
Also speaking after the ceremony, the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Rev. Matthew Hassan Kukah, expressed confidence in Musa’s ability to deliver on the job.
He said: Everybody knows what the problem is. We just need restoration of normalcy in this country by any means possible. And I think that this job is in very good hands. It does seem very clearly that the president wants to reposition issues of security, and I think the situation is in very good hands.
“Whatever it takes to get this mess under control. These guys need to be flushed out. Normalcy needs to return to our country. Laughter and joy has to come back to Nigeria within the shortest time possible, all we do is to pray for the best.”
