Connect with us

Nigeria News

No formal notice yet on reported release of 100 abducted Niger students – CAN

Published

on

The Niger State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has said it is yet to receive any official confirmation on reports that 100 students abducted from St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary School in Papiri have been freed.

In a statement released on Monday, the state chairman of CAN, Bishop Bulus Yohanna, disclosed that neither the association nor the affected communities had been formally informed of any such development.

“It will be a thing of joy if some of our children have been released. We have been praying and waiting for their return,” Yohanna said.

“If it is true, then it is cheering news. However, we are not officially aware and have not been duly notified. We hope and pray it’s true and look forward to when the remaining will be released,” he added.

It will be recalled that gunmen stormed the school on November 21, 2025, and abducted no fewer than 315 persons, comprising 303 students and 12 teachers.

Within 24 hours of the attack, about 50 pupils reportedly escaped and were reunited with their families.

Last week, the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, visited the school and reassured parents and guardians that the remaining victims were safe and would soon regain their freedom.

Meanwhile, reacting to the reported release during a Channels Television programme on Sunday, former Director of Media Operations at the Defence Headquarters, Major General John Enenche (retd.), commended the Federal Government and security agencies for what he described as a major breakthrough.

“My take is that the government and the security agencies have done a lot, and I believe that Nigerians will be happy for this.

“I can tell you that it is not easy, whichever way or means were used to get these children out,” Enenche said.