Connect with us

Nigeria News

Trump threatens more US strikes if ISIS continues killing Christians in Nigeria

Published

on

United States President Donald Trump has issued a stern warning that additional military action will be taken if Islamic State (ISIS) militants persist in attacking and killing Christians in Nigeria, revealing that he personally authorised recent lethal strikes on the group in the country’s North-West.

Trump disclosed this on Thursday through a post on his Truth Social platform, where he confirmed that American forces carried out what he described as “numerous perfect strikes” on ISIS targets operating in the region.

“Tonight, at my direction as Commander in Chief, the United States launched a powerful and deadly strike against ISIS terrorist scum in Northwest Nigeria, who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians, at levels not seen for many years, and even centuries,” Trump wrote.

According to him, the operation followed earlier warnings issued to the terror group to halt its attacks on Christians or face severe consequences.

“I have previously warned these terrorists that if they did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be hell to pay, and tonight, there was,” he said.

Trump further stated that the U.S. Department of War carried out the mission with precision, emphasising America’s determination to confront radical Islamic terrorism wherever it operates.

“The Department of War executed numerous perfect strikes, as only the United States is capable of doing. Under my leadership, our country will not allow radical Islamic terrorism to prosper,” he added.

Reinforcing his message in a Christmas statement, the US President warned that more strikes would follow if the killings continue. “May God bless our military, and Merry Christmas to all, including the dead terrorists of which there will be many more if their slaughter of Christians continues,” he said.

Also reacting, U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the operation sent a strong signal to ISIS, while acknowledging the cooperation of Nigerian authorities.

“The President was clear last month: the killing of innocent Christians in Nigeria (and elsewhere) must end,” Hegseth wrote on X. “The @DeptofWar is always ready, so ISIS found out tonight on Christmas. Grateful for Nigerian government support and cooperation. Merry Christmas!”

Meanwhile, the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) confirmed that the air strikes led to the killing of several ISIS fighters in Sokoto State.

“At the direction of the President of the United States and the Secretary of War, and in coordination with Nigerian authorities, U.S. Africa Command conducted strikes against ISIS terrorists in Nigeria on Dec. 25, 2025, in Sokoto State,” AFRICOM said in a statement posted on X.

The development indicates a deepening of U.S. military engagement against ISIS elements in Nigeria, particularly through joint efforts with Nigerian security agencies.