idoma news
Otukpo/Ohimini: ADC Reps candidate, Innocent Omudu escapes death as gunmen open fire on his convoy
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) candidate for the Otukpo/Ohimini Federal Constituency seat in the House of Representatives, Innocent Omudu, narrowly escaped death on Thursday after suspected gunmen attacked his convoy in Benue State.
The attack reportedly occurred along the Onyagede-Ugboju road while Omudu and his supporters were returning to Otukpo after the party’s primary election.
Omudu had earlier emerged as the consensus candidate and flag bearer of the ADC for the 2027 general elections following the withdrawal of his only challenger from the race.
Sources said the armed attackers opened fire on the convoy, damaging some vehicles and causing injuries to several persons.
Speaking after the incident, Omudu confirmed the attack and expressed gratitude that no life was lost despite the heavy gunfire.
“We thank God that no life was lost during the attack. It was a frightening experience, but God saw us through,” he said.
He commended officers of the Nigerian Police Force attached to the Idekpa Division in Ohimini for resisting the attackers and preventing further casualties.
The ADC candidate also praised local vigilante members who assisted security operatives during the attack.
Omudu further appreciated party leaders and supporters across the constituency for the confidence reposed in him following his emergence as the party’s candidate for the House of Representatives election.
