Politics
PDP suspends Ibadan Convention pending Appeal court decision
The Acting National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Alhaji Abdulrahman Mohammed, has announced the cancellation of the party’s proposed national convention earlier scheduled to hold in Ibadan, Oyo State.
Mohammed made the announcement on Wednesday during a press briefing in Abuja, alongside the National Secretary, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, and members of the National Working Committee (NWC).
He explained that the decision followed the receipt of the Certified True Copy (CTC) of a recent judgment delivered by Justice Omotosho of the Federal High Court, Abuja, in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/2120/2025.
Quoting from the briefing, Mohammed said: “We warmly welcome you to this important press briefing and sincerely appreciate your steadfast support for our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The National Leadership of the PDP, under my humble leadership as Acting National Chairman Alhaji Abdulrahman Muhammed, in collaboration with our National Secretary, Distinguished Senator Samuel Anyanwu, hereby formally informs the Nigerian public that we have received the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the recent judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered by Honourable Justice Omotosho in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/2120/2025.”
He noted that the party’s National Legal Adviser, Ajibade K.A. (SAN), had already given a detailed legal opinion on the implications of the ruling, after which the PDP filed an appeal before the Court of Appeal for further judicial interpretation.
“Consequently, having lodged an appeal and in line with our responsibility to uphold the rule of law, the PDP hereby suspends and cancels the proposed Ibadan National Convention pending the decision of the Court of Appeal,” he stated.
“Any continuation with the proposed convention at this time would amount to a violation of the rule of law and shall not be condoned.”
The PDP Acting Chairman added that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which was a party to the suit, had been formally notified of the party’s decision to suspend the convention.
“We have deemed it necessary and responsible to formally communicate our position to the Commission,” he said. “Accordingly, we have notified INEC to suspend the National Convention in strict compliance with the directive contained in the judgment.”
Mohammed also reacted to an ex-parte order reportedly issued by a High Court in Oyo State, stating that such an order could not override a valid judgment of the Federal High Court.
“While we await the Certified True Copy of the said order, we reiterate that an ex-parte order cannot override a subsisting judgment of the Federal High Court,” he maintained. “We shall continue to act only in accordance with valid judicial authority and the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”
The development comes amid ongoing internal tensions within the opposition party following recent leadership disputes and legal challenges surrounding the organization of its national convention.
