By Wuese Orshi
There are unique people everywhere. They come once in a generation and leave indelible footprints wherever they find themselves.
Rt Hon Titus Tyoapine Uba is such a rare gem. He does not believe in mountaintop propaganda to attract attention to himself. He does not believe in primitive accumulation of wealth neither does he believe in politics of character assassination or campaign of calumny against political opponents.
He lives a low profile life while impacting positively on the people. Uba also believes that it is not how long a man lives on earth that matters but the impact of his longevity on humanity and society in general hence he has amply demonstrated that he lives to serve humanity and society in general.
The man, Rt. Hon.( Engr.) Titus Tyoapine Uba was born on 25th September, 1965 at Ugba, Logo Local Government Area to the family of Tyosula Uba of Mbakyaha Council ward of Ute in Vandeikya Local Government Area of Benue state.
He had his elementary education at L.G.E.A Primary School, Akehe and later Demonstration Special Primary School, Makurdi between 1974 and 1979 and obtained his First School Leaving Certificate ( FSLC). On completion of his primary education, he proceeded to Mt. St. Michael’s Secondary School, Aliede between 1979 and 1984 where he obtained his General Certificate of Education (GCE O/ L).
The quest for higher education took him to Federal Polytechnic, Idah, now in Kogi state where he studied and obtained National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering between 1987 and 1989.
Not yet satisfied and determined to reach the zenith of his profession, Rt Hon Titus Uba proceeded to Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi where he studied and obtained Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from 2002 to 2004. It is worthy of note that while at Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi, the Speaker’s project work stood him out among the array of graduating students of that year. The vane pump he designed and fabricated was adjudged the best project of the year and till date, Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi displays the pump at several technical exhibitions of the school.
To add another feather to his cap and sharpen his skills for future challenges, Rt Hon Uba attended a one month Technical training in soya beans and rice processing in South Korea.
Hon. Uba also holds a postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Mechanical Engineering from university of Agriculture, Makudi now Joseph Sarwuan Tarka university and is currently studying for his master’s degree in mechanical Engineering with specialization in production in the same institution.
It is safe to say that Uba’s stint at Ajaokuta Steel Company in 1985 as an Assistant Roller shaped his life and guided his career choice hence he ventured into the study of mechanical engineering. Having acquired the expertise upon graduation from Federal Polytechnic Bauchi, Rt. Hon. Uba got employed by Benro Packaging Company Limited, producers of packaging bags. While with Benro packaging Company, he brought his ingenuity, prowess and expertise to bear on the company by fabricating spare parts locally thereby halting the importation of most spare parts from abroad. When the company folded up, Engr. Uba took up appointment with Vandeikya Local Government in 1991 as Assistant Technical Officer but resigned in 1994 and joined YUTECO Foods Limited, Gboko as a Shift Mechanical Supervisor (maintenance ). As a result of hard work, dedication to duty and technical competence, he was promoted to the position of Senior Supervisor and later Acting Head of department ( maintenance ) – all within a span of two years. By virtue of his position, he was directly in charge of all mechanical operations, fault finding and fixing of same on all machines as well as safety of company environment and staff ; an assignment he performed creditably well.
Uba has over 25 years experience in industrial design and fabrication, machine operations as well as mechanical maintenance before venturing into politics.
Aside his professional field of study, Uba also has some creative works to his credit one of which is an anti – racism story entitled ‘Professor Do – Good’, published by the Author House, a publishing firm based in United Kingdom. The widely read book is available in the UK, US and on Amazon.
In 2015, having watched from the sidelines the suffering of his people for over twenty – five years, Engr. Uba threw his hat into the ring by venturing into partisan politics at a time the wind of change was sweeping across the Benue political landscape. He contested and won election as member of the Benue State House of Assembly representing Kyan constituency and was elected by his colleagues to serve as Majority Whip in the 8th Assembly.
Though a first timer in the House, Uba left no one in doubt that he meant business and that he was determined to leave indelible imprints on his constituents and today, the projects are there for all to see. It was perhaps because of his sterling performance that the people of Kyan re – elected him in 2019. Indeed, he is the second Lawmaker after Mzenda Iho to serve as Speaker in two separate Assemblies. As member /Speaker of the 8th Assembly, Rt. Hon. Uba has touched the lives of his constituents and beyond in the following ways:
1. Electrification of Tse Kpamo, Tse Tyosula communities.
2. Electrification of Abutu Secondary School.
3. Electrification of Tse Usaka Villages cutting across Mgbagbam and Mbakyaha Council wards in Vandeikya LGA.
4. Electrification of Branch Akaazua Muemue to Mbawuar Secondary School, Tse Muemue and adjoining villages all in Mbadede council ward .
5. The Speaker also dug motorized boreholes at Tse Tyosula and Koti-Yough towns in Mbakyaha.
6. He also dug a borehole at NKST Gyu in Mbagbera Council Ward in fulfillment of the promise he made during a thanksgiving organized in his honor by the church.
7. Distribution of grinding machines to women of his constituency.
8. Renovation of a police station at Tse Mker, Vandeikya Local Government.
Other projects executed by Mr Speaker include:
9. Distribution of more than 40 brand new Motorcycles to deserving constituents.
10. Renovation of some primary schools in his constituency in conjunction with State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).
12. The Speaker also dug boreholes at Ihugh town of Mbadede council ward, Ifan – Tsambe council ward and Mbakyon- same Tsambe council ward where there were crises between Tsambe and mbagwaza council wards.
13. As someone whose philosophy is service to the less privileged and downtrodden, Engr. Uba mostly celebrate his birthday with the internally displaced persons here in Makurdi and also visit orphanage homes to identify with God’s children.
14. The honourable Speaker also constructed a clinic for the good people of Mbajor council ward. It is located at Ingyor settlement area.
15. There is also a completed bridge across river Wacham in Mbakyaha council ward courtesy of the speaker. River Wacham is on Koti-Yough, Pev , Amadu Mbagbera Road.
16. The Rt. Hon. Speaker also distributed about 210 foams and a truck of rice as relief materials to the people of Mbaaboho & Mbaachaku communities to ease their plight when both communities got themselves entangled in a communal clash.
17. During the COVID – 19 global pandemic, the Hon. Speaker toured his constituency and sensitized them and distributed materials to enable them stay safe. These items were hand sanitizers, running water buckets among others
18. As the speaker of Benue State House of Assembly, Engr Uba promptly increased the stipends of assembly casual staff by fifty percent to boost their morale and enhance their service delivery.
19. Uba also reconstructed the dilapidated portions on Ihugh- Tse- Mker road From Akaazua Muemue branch to Mbagba high school.
20. The Honourable Speaker also constructed an Ultra modern School gate at Mount Saint Machael’s Secondary School, Aliade his Alma mater.
21. The Vandeikya- Uganden road is under construction courtesy of the Honourable Speaker.
22. He also prioritizes regular constituency briefing to enable his people to understand the working of the assembly under his leadership
23.It is under the leadership of Rt. Hon. Titus Uba that both College of Advance and Professional Studies ( CAPS), Makurdi and Akperan Orshi College of Agriculture, Yandev have been converted from monotechnics to Polytechnics to serve the academic needs Benue People.
24. The Benue Assembly under Rt. Hon. Titus Uba has initiated a bill for the Establishment of a Youth Development Commission making it the first Assembly ever to consider the plights of Benue youths.
25.Even as Speaker of the House, Uba has not forgotten about his primary responsibility of lawmaking as many bills are standing in his name.
26. He has facilitated the appointment and promotion of many in Local government, State and federal civil service.
The workaholic Titus Uba has more achievements to his credit than one would ever imagine. As a Lawmaker, he perfectly understands that laws are the vehicle that drive a peaceful society.
The 9th Assembly under the leadership of Rt. Hon. Titus Uba initiated, deliberated and passed laws that served as antidote to the several challenges confronting the state. About fifty – three of such bills were passed and assented to by the governor while many are at various stages of deliberations.
The Benue Assembly under Engr. Uba has also repealed the School of Nursing and Midwifery Law which transferred the premises, physical facilities and documents of the School to the College of Health Sciences, Benue State University, Makurdi.
Worried by the threat to life and property occasioned by the attack on Benue communities by Fulani herdsmen and realizing the fact that there was need for a legal instrument to maintain peace between farmers and herders and the need to regulate human conduct generally. Among the laws is the amendment of the Open Grazing Prohibition and Ranches Establishment Law of 2017 to provide stiffer penalties for offenders. This has reduced cases of herdsmen attack on Benue communities to the barest minimum and today, other states in the Federation have copied the Benue example and have enacted laws prohibiting open grazing of livestock and introduced ranching which is the best form of animal husbandry.
In the area of health, the Titus Uba led Assembly enacted the Highly Infectious Disease Bill 2020 at a time the coronavirus disease was ravaging the entire world. The law sought to contain and halt the spread of the virus and other infectious diseases in Benue state. The House also initiated a bill for a law to establish the Benue State Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment to provide for the promotion, Aid and Coordination of Research And Prevention of Cancer, 2021.
Additionally, the 9th Assembly has amended the Law that established the Community Volunteer Guards 2004 and has empowered them to collaborate with other sister outfits in tackling insecurity in the state. Already, trained personnel of this security outfit are in various villages in the state contributing their quota to peace and tranquility in the state. This is aside the various motions and resolutions the 9th Assembly has passed to address issues of public importance in the state.
The 9th Assembly has also maintained a cordial working relationship with the executive arm of government while still performing her constitutional duty of checks and balances.
Now that Hon. Uba is the Benue PDP governorship flag bearer for the forthcoming general elections, it is pertinent to remind Benue people that Engr. Uba has adequately equipped himself for the task of governance.
He believes that with agricultural mechanization, effective utilization of naturally endowed resources ( particularly its sand) and the fertile land, he could use that to turn around the fortunes of the state for the better with industrialization playing a complementary role.
While we count on the support of Benue people to enable us serve them if Engr. Uba is voted as governor, we wish to remind them that the business of statecraft is a very serious one that should not be entrusted in the hands of a novice.
Rt Hon Titus Tyoapine Uba has the requisite experience, exposure and all it takes to govern the state and transform it into an industrial hub where there will be economic prosperity.
COME, LET’S BE PART OF THE UNITED BENUE AGREEMENT (UBA).