Good morning! Here are latest Benue News today, Oct 21, 2022
1. Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi on Thursday took a boat ride to empathise with flood victims in Benue State.
Recall Obi announced on Wednesday that he will be suspending his presidential campaign to sympathise with victims of the ongoing flooding across the country.
2. The Forum of Concerned Nigerians (FCN), a civil society organisation, has slammed the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar over his recent comment that he is angry with the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom.
The group said it has observed with rude shock and total disbelief that Atiku, who is a presidential candidate and a chieftaincy title holder in Benue has up to this moment, not issued a single statement expressing sympathies for the people of Benue State over the killing of innocent persons.
3. The Coalition of Southern and Middle Belt Youth Leaders Assembly, COSMBYLA, the umbrella body of all the youth groups in the South East, South South, South West and Middle Belt region has expressed shocked and totally disappointed over the conduct and utterances of former Vice President and PDP Presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar regarding the security situation in Benue State and other parts of the country.
4. At least two policemen and 21 other residents were killed on Wednesday when some herders on reprisal attacked Gbeji community in the Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State.
The state Commissioner of Police, Wale Abass, stated that the crisis started on Tuesday, when five herdsmen were killed.
5. Ace lawyer, Ochogwu Abbas Ogbeh has been decorated as Commissioner of Police.
He is the COMPOL LEGAL, the most senior lawyer in the Police Force today and heads the legal department.
6. The Benue State Police Command has arrested nine suspected cult members terrorising Adoka community and suburbs in Otukpo Local Government Area of the state.
The suspects, including a young lady, were accused of burning down houses.
7. Idoma-born Ochebi Obe has been promoted to the rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police.
AIG Obe was among cops recently promoted by the police service commission.
8. Houses were set ablaze in Ojakpama community in Adoka, Otukpo Local Government, Benue State over village head tussle.
It was gathered that the crisis was fueled by traditional head tussles on who would be the next ruler of the community.