Connect with us

Metro

NAPTIP arrests three, seals maternity facility over baby trafficking in Rivers

Published

on

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has shut down an illegal maternity facility in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, following allegations that three babies were sold through a suspected child trafficking network.

The operation, conducted jointly by NAPTIP and the Rivers State Ministry of Health, resulted in the arrest of the facility’s owner, a suspected intermediary and another staff member.

According to a statement released by NAPTIP on Thursday, the facility was located in a residential building in the Elelenwo area of Port Harcourt and was allegedly involved in obtaining, selling and unlawfully transferring children.

The agency said its preliminary findings showed that a Liberian woman living in Belgium entered Nigeria without any evidence that she had been pregnant and allegedly took custody of three children within approximately one month.

Investigators also reportedly found evidence indicating that about N13.5 million was paid in connection with the transfer of the children.

NAPTIP said operatives from its Abuja and Rivers commands conducted a coordinated raid on the facility and sealed the premises to protect potential evidence as investigations continue.

The agency said forensic and documentary investigations had commenced to establish the identities, locations and welfare of the children, as well as determine their biological and legal parentage.

It added that investigators were working to identify everyone involved in procuring and transferring the children, while also tracing the financial transactions and examining whether medical personnel or other individuals played roles in the alleged trafficking operation.

NAPTIP Director-General, Binta Adamu Bello, expressed concern over allegations that foreign nationals were travelling to Nigeria to acquire children through unlawful means.

Bello said the investigation had been widened to track down and apprehend all persons connected to the case.

“Anyone found culpable will face due process under the law, and the safety and welfare of the affected children will remain our top priority,” she said.